Monday, December 8, 2008

Our Story

This week, I'm going to write an installment of Our Story every day. Our sixth wedding anniversary is coming up on Sunday, and I thought this would be a good way to commemorate it... To put it into writing. So here it goes!



First Meetings

Well, we met through my cousin Sherri. Sherri was friends with Caroline. Caroline was friends with Jake. Sherri had never met Jake, and Caroline had never met me. On a Sunday night in March, she and I talked and I told her to stop trying to set me up-I could find my own man. The next morning, I had an email from her, saying that she "worked with this great guy named Jake, and here's his email address, he's expecting an emapil from you." I was less than happy, but didn't want to seem like a witch, so I emailed him, trying to keep the email as clipped and impersonal as I could, in hopes that he wouldn't respond and I could move on. He replied the next day, and it continued that way for a couple weeks, finally exchanging AIM i.d.s and talking that way for a couple more weeks before agreeing to meet. Our first date was on Apr. 21 at a bowling alley half way between us. My cousin came with us (because I'm not crazy enough to fo a blind internet date alone, lol). He wouldn't look at or talk to me the whole time. After that, we went to eat, and he didn't look at or talk to me there, either. We parted ways after dinner, and I said to him "Am I going to hear from you again?" And he said "Do your ears work?" lol.



The First Phone Call

The very next day (Apr 22). Jake called me from his friend's house. He had nothing to say, really, and all of his friends insisted that he tell me they were there. So, after listing who-all was in the apartment with him, he had officially run out of things to say. I, after sitting there, listening to him breathe for five minutes, said "Do you have anything to say to me?" "No..." He said. "Okay then, I'm gonna hang up then, because I don't have time to sit here and listen to you breathe all day." says I. "Okay," says he. And hang up, did we.



The First Kiss

We talked online through email and AIM the next two days (the date was on a Monday, after my last class for the day; the phone call was the next day, so Tuesday). We made plans for him to come to my house for dinner on Friday to meet my parents (My mother had become quite strict about meeting who I dated while living in her house). He showed up, we ate dinner, and then we watched some TV in my room. I had one of those bunk beds where its a bed on top and a futon on bottom, you know? So we were on the futon. He wouldn't sit anywhere near me. When it was time for him to leave (he had to work that night) we went to the landing (My parents have a split-level house) to say goodbye. I thought to myself "It's now or never. He's never going to kiss me, so I'll have to do it." I leaned in, and gave him a quick peck on the mouth. His eyes got huge, he turned on his heel, and *literally* ran to his truck, got in, and drove away. I thought to myself, "Well, that's the end of that, then. I'll never see *him* again." And went back upstairs to my room.



Up tomorrow: The Email, The Proposal, Gaevin's Birth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, where is installment number two?! That is so cute!!