Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Thankful for women.

I've been reminiscing the past few days, and am finding myself waxing nostalgic. I never had many female friends as a teen, or until recently, really. I tend to vascillate between surrounding myself with men, and being a self-proclaimed "loner". The longest friendship I've ever had is with my husband, and he and I have no similar hobbies or pastimes.

Recently, I've found myself with girlfriends for the first time. I met Lucy a little over a year ago, and we're now inseperable even though there is an entire continent between us. I think about her, how she's doing, what's going on in her day. I do this every day. Her being pervades my existance in the strangest ways. Ways that no friend has ever done before. It makes me realize that I've always been a solitary creature, even when surrounded by people. Lucy will say something in passing that seems insignifigant, and then weeks later, something will remind me of it, and I laugh for a while to myself. It's like I'm suddenly a part of something that I never understood, or particularly wanted to be a part of.

Then there's Heather. I find myself linked to her as well. On paper, we have many differences. And yet, we mesh so very well. I wonder if that's because of our commonalities, or the differences? If I'm having a particularly difficult day, I can take solace in the knowledge that if I were to call Heather, she'd be able to relate experiences so similar that she could be telling my story. And after many conversations with her, I know that it's the same for her. We've become a boon to each other in our difficult days. Again, something I never knew I needed. I've always felt that my problems are no one's but my own, and that I'd soldier through to the other side. No one wanted to hear about my problems, they had plenty of their own. I never knew how liberating those two little words could be... "Me too!"

Jessi is my local mom friend. It's so wonderful to be able to call someone and say "I'm about to lose my mind. Can you stop by and hang out for a few minutes so I can talk to an adult?" To have someone to make plans with so that the kids can play together, and stop making each other crazy. That's incredible. And she's so funny! And witty, and smart, and charming. And she looks at things differently than I do, which helps me look at things from a different point. And when I'm having a rough patch dealing with my husband, there are again those two little words that keep me from feeling like I'm on an island to myself.

My knitting group on Saturday mornings is filled with such diverse, incredible, intelligent women. I love spending time with them. I always come away with something that helps me get through the rest of the week. All of these women fill my heart with such joy, and I just don't know how I ever thought that life was easier without girlfriends.

I've come to a realization these past few days. Life isn't easier without girlfriends. I always said "Women are so catty. That's why I'm friends with guys." Maybe I just didn't know the right women. These women I've chosen to surround myself with have been nothing but a boon to me, and I hope I've been the same to them. It is so liberating to be able to speak my mind, and say things that I thought I must be the only one thinking, just to be answered with "Me too." How refreshing. Looking back, I can't understand how I ever survived the length of time I did without girlfriends. Or, more specifically...without THESE girlfriends.

If you're reading...I love you all.

1 comment:

Jessica 7 said...

That was beautiful. Girlfriends are so important! I am so happy that you have such wonderful support through amazing women!