Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mother in Law issues...

Okay, here’s my conundrum… I have exactly 2 FO. A Taos Beret which I made for my MIL, that she loves. And 1/2 a pair of modified Monkey socks, in MadelineTosh Vermillion, for me. I’m in love with this sock, and so proud of myself.Here’s where the problem comes in: We were at my IL’s on Friday. Saturday was my MIL’s birthday. She always makes a big deal about how she doesn’t want presents, use your money on yourselves, etc. I was working on the second sock, and showed her the first finished one, since she’d seen it as a WIP as well.We were getting ready to leave…hugs and kisses all around, yadda yadda. She says “Thanks so much for my card and my socks!”

WHAT?!?!?! I seriously almost cried on the way home, lol… Dh looked at me when we got in the car and said “I didn’t know you told her they were for her.”I said, “I didn’t! She better not assume that EVERYTHING I knit is for her!”

lol… On the one hand, I’m really glad that she enjoys what I do, and wants handmade items (makes Christmas about a million times easier when it comes to her, as I never know what to get her!)

On the other hand, I really want my socks… but can’t tell her that they aren’t for her now, without looking like I’m a selfish, bad DIL.

UGH! :) This would never have happened with a scrapbook page!

...

Re-reading this, I don't want to sound like she's selfish... I have NEVER, in 5 1/2 years of marriage to this woman's son, EVER heard her ask for ANYTHING. That's what makes it so impossible to say no...

No comments: